Homemade Mac 'n Cheese
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 1 pound whole grain, organic elbow pasta
- 1/2 cup organic butter (1 stick)
- 1 medium sized sweet onion
- 1/2 cup whole wheat, organic flour
- 4 cups organic whole milk
- A few shakes of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 10 to 12 ounces extra sharp cheddar
- 8 ounces gouda
- 8 ounces parmesan or gruyere cheese
- 1/2 t. salt (to taste)
- whole wheat breadcrumbs (optional)
1) Start the pasta by boiling salted water and cook the pasta while preparing the sauce.
2) Brown the onions and garlic in the butter until glassy.
3) Add the flour to the butter/onion mix and brown to create a rue base.
3) Add milk gradually until it is all incorporated.
4) Grate the cheese coarsely and add it to the rue (a food processor with a grater disc will do this quickly).
5) Season with salt and pepper
6) Drain the noodles when cooked and put them in a casserole pan (do not rinse the pasta).
7) Pour the cheese sauce over the noodles and mix well.
7) Lightly dust the top with breadcrumbs.
9) Place in the over at 325 degrees and bake for 25 mins uncovered.
9) Let cool 5 mins then serve!
If you do not know what a rue is, go look it up. By far one of the more useful tips for cooking soups and casseroles. Also, when adding liquid to the Rue base, make sure to add it in slowly and let the browned flour incorporate the liquid… otherwise it will be chunky.